background

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Ryan's Birthday Party

We had Ryan's 1st birthday party yesterday. I wanted to avoid characters this year so we did blue and green with stars which turned out very cute. As usual I was stressed out about the house being clean and everything being ready when people arrived. Every time we have company my husband and I get an argument, he seems to think I go overboard. The weather was beautiful and everyone was able to be outside and enjoy the weather.

My mother's family has a tradition on a 1st birthday involving a silver dollar, rosary, and a shot glass. The items are placed in front of the child and which ever item the chooses is supposed to signify a path their life will take.
The rosary= a religious life 
Silver dollar= prosperity/wealth
Shot glass= gluttony

Ryan chose the silver dollar, which is the same thing I picked on my first birthday.

We were lucky enough to have my husbands parents in town as well as my grandparents (GG and Papa) in town for his birthday. Living so far away fro most of our family means that they miss most of the kids milestones as well as spending time with them so it was nice to have them here.

Ryan had a slight melt down when we tried to get him to eat the cake. I took off his shirt in order to prevent it from getting stained and he was so upset. Once we put the shirt back on and gave him a bib he dug in. i will say that he was far neater with the cake than his sister was.

No comments:

Post a Comment