background

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

If only I didn't live so far away....from work

Can someone please explain to me how gas goes up $0.13 in one day? Gas was $3.86 a gallon yesterday morning when I passed the QT on my way to work and it was up to $3.99 this morning when I went by the same station. I have almost a 75 mile round trip commute to work so it is costing me a fortune to get to work every day. Honestly I  feel like pretty soon I will not be able to afford to drive to work anymore.

You may say "Why would you live that far away from you office" and the answer to that is that my office is not in the best area and we wanted to be in a suburb with good decent schools plus the commute is all interstate so it really is not that bad most days. I drive a 2005 Ford Escape which is paid for, unfortunately it only gets 24 miles to the gallon which is not great compared to the cars on the market now that can get 40+. Since it is paid for and a new vehicle is not in the budget I am going to have to suck it up bit gas prices are killing my budget.

I have started to weight my options at work. I can switch to a 4/10 schedule if I want so we are trying to figure out if it would work for our family to do that. Right now it is looking like it will not. I would have to work 7-5:30 and once you factor in the commute time I would get home in time to give the kids baths and put them to bed. I would also no longer have time to go to the gym or prepare healthy meals both things that are very important to attaining my weight loss goal. I will make my lists of the pros and cons however I think the the pro of saving on gas is going to get out weighed by the cons.

Hopefully when I drive past the QT tomorrow after dropping the kids off at the sitter on my way to work I will not see gas prices of $4.12!

4 comments:

  1. Yep, prices of gas have gotten outrageous! I try and use grocery store savings programs to save but even groceries have gone up...guess it's a wash either way.

    Hi! New follower, found you on MomBloggers. I just started my blog too! You can follow me at www.consideringthefields.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower from MBC. Stop by and visit sometime!
    http://jessicathemom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain. My hubby just got transfered to a new position--same salary, but 62 miles away--EACH WAY! I cringe every time I pass a gas station.
    Just dropped by from the blog hop.
    Cheers--VB

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya... I filled up the tank on my new minivan the other day, and it cost me sixty dollars! *gasp*!!! I've been trying to "coast" as much as possible, as my glorious new minivan gets very non-glorious gas mileage (17.5 mpg avg!). I even turned off the air conditioning and sat there dripping in sweat for the whole ride thinking that perhaps it might up my gas mileage by two tenths of a mile per gallon or something. It's not a good time to own a gas-guzzler, but I really needed the minivan! Now I'm trying to convince my husband to get rid of his Escape and get a Prius or some other environmentally friendly vehicle!

    I'm stopping over from the weekend blog hop at BloggyMoms, and I'm your newest follower! I'd love it if you'd pop by my blog and check it out... I write a funny blog about the joys, trials, and tribulations of motherhood at Misadventures in Motherhood

    It's usually good for a chuckle or two, and I'd love for you to drop by! It's nice to meet you! Have a great weekend!

    Smiles, Jenn
    www.misadventuresinmotherhood.com

    ReplyDelete