Last weekend when I went grocery shopping my bill at check out was $130. Yes you saw that right I said one hundred and thirty. Needless to saw the hubs was less that thrilled at the total especially when we are trying to save and make cuts to out budget.
I recently watched a few episodes of "Extreme Couponing" on TLC and could not believe how much money these people were saving on their grocery bill, one family walked out of the store wilt over $700 in grocers and paid less than $0.01 for everything. They have these massive stockplies in their basements, cupboards, closets, garages, ect so I guess they wil never go hungry or will never run out of laundry detergent, but it seems a little over the top to me. I mean who really needs to have 127 bottles of laundry detergent, or 70 jars of mustard.
Back to the reciept from my trip to the grocery store. I sat down with it to try and figure out where I was spending all my money and figured wou that I spent just about $20 on fresh produce, $20 on dairy, $25 on fresh meat/fish, and $7 on bread so that was $72 dollars right there plus the cost of a book of stamps. The remainder of my bill I will admit that there were probally items that I could have used coupons for if I had one ( I think I had 4 this trip that I used). Recently a co-worker of mine brought in a giant stack of the coupon inserts and I went through them I think I cut out like 7 coupons, the rest of them were for stuff I would never use. I just don't see how the people who save that much do it.
Then I started thinking most of those people say that they do not buy something unless they have a coupon for it. So does that mean that they never buy fresh produce or fresh meats? Only canned, jared, or frozen foods? How is this healthy? I am trying to change the way we eat in my efforts to lose weight and part of that has been to cut out most processed food. Maybe I am not looking in the right places but the only coupouns I seem to find are for processed foods, cleaning products, and beauty/ personal care products. If that is the case how do I save using coupons with the exception of the cleaning and personal care products that I buy very rarely?
So I will use the few coupons I find for the products we use but I am pretty sure I will never get to walk out of the grocery store and be the person who got $700 worth of grocerys for $0.01 unless of course someone can tell me where to find coupons for produce.
Amen! I've been seeing this kind of discussion almost everywhere I go, too. Until coupons start coming out for produce, milk, and meat, I won't be buying the paper just to find coupons. It is so rare that the paper has a coupon for something I actually use, and to buy things just so I can get them free or super cheap, not my thing.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good budgeting, though!
Thanks for following, I'm following you now!
ReplyDeleteI've never watch the show, but wow they spend a lot of time preparing to shop. But I used coupons,but only had enough to save on the tax. But hey that's alright.
New Follower! Love your blog!
ReplyDeletePlease check out my blog when you have time and follow back!
♥
http://greatexpectations-kyna.blogspot.com/
Oh, BTW, I have a weekly feature on my blog called - quick recipe of the week - , a weekly series where I feature a different family friendly recipe each week. I am looking for some guest contributors! Would you be interested in being a guest blogger on my blog in one of the upcoming weeks and featuring your favorite recipe on my blog??
ReplyDeletePlease check out my blog and let me know if you want to help me out! Please contact me through my blog if you are interested!
http://greatexpectations-kyna.blogspot.com/
Hi, I'm a new follower from the hop. If you'd like check out my blog http://singlemommybrain.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteHi! I am a huge coupon user. I agree with you. It is very hard to find coupons for meat, produce, etc. What I do to save on these items is only buy what is on sale. If lettuce, cucumbers, grapes, and cherries are on sale, that is what I will buy for that week. Then get whatever is on sale for the next week. Also, look at the reduced items in your grocery store for great deals.
ReplyDeleteI just found your blog through one of the Sunday blog hops! Can't wait to read more. Hope you have a good week.
Amanda @ www.nutritionistreviews.com
I agree Jen. I use what I can on personal items, but even those I have decided what I buy on chemicals for human health and environmental health so I'm not just going to buy that product because there is a coupon. I've clipped other brands for a while and find I'm 1) still saving with my original choice or 2) can't come to grips with their ingredients list. I once asked a friend who had a picture on her Facebook of her shopping treasure troves that had 5 cake boxes and 5 icings in the mix. I asked her if she was planning to bake a cake soon. She said she was sure she would need to in the next few months for someone's birthday. My loop hole says, I would have never wasted my time clipping for cake boxes and icing, finding that store with the best sale, going to the store, planning to buy them, visiting that isle, making sure I had the appropriate items to use the coupon, and spending that misc amount to go ahead and buy it for just in case. I don't have room in my budget for just in case. About 1/2 of my cart is fresh produce, 1/4 is meat/dairy, and the other 1/4 is between boxes, cans, breads, and personal items. I am lucky to find produce coupons (especially being subscribed to 5 different coupon sites) and sometimes the inserts have coupons for meat, but I only buy the local supplier's meat so rarely does that affect me. The best coupons I can use are from a manufacture's website (i.e. Stonyfield or Horizon yogurts). I am just too picky on products to be a good couponer. It's just not about price in my house. I believe that when it's solely based on price, you will be paying your doctors 10x more in the future.
ReplyDelete