background

Thursday, July 21, 2011

My g baby

I recently read a blog post from a friend of mine who had made the decision to cloth diaper her twin girls that were born in May. It got me thinking about switching Ryan over to cloth diapers. I figure if she can handle cloth diapering twins which means twice the laundry then surely I could handle doing it for one baby I mean toddler.

My husband was less than thrilled with the idea and informed me that he would not be washing them. I assured him that I cold handle the laundry duty associated with the cloth diapers. He is big on trying to trim our budget so he was on board when I mentioned that we would stop spending $40+ a month on diapers. My babysitter said that she doesn't have a problem using them so everyone was on board with the switch.

I did some research and decided to go with gdiapers. I liked that the pants were reusable and that they had an option to used a disposable/biodegradable insert should the need arise. Theses diapers got some great reviews and really did not seem all that difficult to use ant lets face it they also look cute. I only ordered a few covers to start with and figured it was worth giving them a try.

When the covers and the cloth liners came I had to condition the liners by boiling them for 30-45 minutes and then washed them in hot water. I stayed up Friday night to get this done so I could start using them on Saturday. My husband though it was strange that I was cooking fabric but he just rolled his eyes and reminded me that I had chosen to do this.

Saturday morning I put Ryan in a gdiaper for the first time. The first time I put one on him it took me a little while to get the fit right, infact I was having issues witht the snaps on the liners leaving red barkd on his legs. I called the customer service line and they helped me get a good fit, I was not pulling the diaper up far enough. The one thing I was dreading about cloth diapers was the he would have a bubble butt, however these diapers are almost less bulky then disposables. I had him in the gdiapers all weekend and was impressed. I didn't have one leak even through the night (I doubled up the cloth insert at night) I was half expecting him to wake up wit wet pj's in the morning.

I keep asking myself why I didn't switch to these sooner? We could have been using them for over a year already. Think of all the money we would have saved on the disposable diapers. I guess I had myself convinced it would be too hard. I will say that using them at first on a newborn may have been a bit overwhelming. There are so many adjustments in the beginning, around the clock feedings, lack of sleep, and everything else that comes with being a new parent. If I had tried them then I may not have stuck with it, but at this point I am thinking the IF there is a third child in our future I will use these.

1 comment:

  1. Did the g-thing here, too, and LOVED them! They were no more work than disposables, IMO, and the wet ones are compostable! So much less garbage, and how adorable do they look??!

    Great choice. Looking forward to hearing how it continues to go.

    ReplyDelete